WHAT IS MINDFULNESS?
Mindfulness is the ability to intentionally bring attention to one’s present experience – made of thoughts, emotions and physical sensations – without judgment and with a welcoming attitude.
It is a way to enter into intimate and profound contact with our lives, helping us to modify those automatic and dysfunctional reactions that cause suffering and stress.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
Scientific research has shown that Mindfulness practice brings significant health benefits by reducing anxiety, agitation, restlessness, depression, recurring thoughts, sleep disturbances, attention, eating problems, addictive behavior and a wide range of physical conditions (hypertension, chronic pain, diabetes, psoriasis, tinnitus, …).
WHAT IS THE MBSR PROGRAM?
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) is a scientific stress reduction program developed in the field of behavioral medicine by prof. Jon Kabat-Zinn (U.S.A). Experimented for 40 years, it has been completed to date by more than 20,000 people.
The program is based on MBSR with 8 weekly meetings of 2 hours (total of 16 hours) during October and November starting from the first week of October (dates to come). It will be taught in English.
Expats in Italy for a short term or long term permanence or Italian expats facing a re-entry experience following a period abroad. First experience of mindfulness or experienced practitioners.
- Reduce stress: transitions start with an end and finish with a beginning, they say. It is easy to feel upside down when change happens in our lives and the experience of living abroad is a very particular one.
- Support healthy personal growth as individuals and also have a positive impact on the wellbeing of beloved ones
- Improve openness, emotional awareness, kind and compassionate communication, perspective-taking and development of intercultural sensitivity
- rebuild a sense of belonging based on internal qualities, and open to a unique way of feeling ‘home’.
- Small guided meditation practices
- Exploring the habits of reaction to stress, with a focus on transition-related stress
- Discover and practice workable and more useful approaches
- Moments of sharing in a group, where sharing is always a choice of each participant and is never compulsory
- Activities to promote awareness of the current expat/living abroad experience and to foster the ability to more frequently substitute reactions with choices
- Activities to promote awareness that applies to everyday life
- Practice of mindfulness in movement
- Mindful eating practices
FREE ORIENTATION EVENT: September 27th at 19.15-20.30
LOCATION (of the orientation event and of the course):
MILANO – GARDEN DANCE STUDIOS – Via Aosta, 21
DATES to come from Mid October to Mid December
Thursday at 4 pm or Friday at 2 pm (to be confirmed)
Free orientation event: September 27th at 19.15-20.30
dott.ssa Giovanna Fungi
Psychologist specialized in Transcultural Psychotherapy and consultant for Italian and International schools, she has 10+ years of experience with expats in the area of northern Italy. She practices and teaches mindfulness within clinical prevention and educational contexts, in line with Acceptance and Commitment Therapy techniques and Third-wave process-based models of cognitive-behavioral therapies. She works with adults, children, and teenagers and is a member of ACBS – Association for Contextual Behavioral Science, IESCUM, ACT Italia, ACT for Kids & Teens. Member of Russian Ballet Society as a dance teacher.
dott.ssa Valeria Degiovanni
Psychologist and Psychotherapist, Mindful-based courses senior trainer, founder of MindfulOrganization, a former manager at Accenture, Trainer, and Consultant within Leadership Development and Organizational Wellbeing.